BSc (Hons) Spot and Exercise Science
The role of the modern sport and exercise scientist continues to develop, with the promotion of an active and healthy lifestyle helping to prevent chronic and potentially life-threatening diseases such as obesity and type 2 diabetes.
The scientific knowledge gained from this practical programme means you’ll be equipped to work with a wide range of populations, including athletes, young people, older people, and those suffering from, or at risk of developing, a number of disease states.
Teaching is reinforced by research, and there’s a strong emphasis on the links with industry. This includes opportunities for placements and internships. Practical sessions will be delivered in bespoke physiology and biomechanics laboratories.
We have three teaching laboratories:
- Strength and Conditioning Suite.
- Human Performance Laboratory.
- Biomechanics/Motion Analysis Laboratory.
Within these, you’ll learn practical skillsets such as Olympic lifting and fitness programming, fitness tests that encompass different factors for performance and health, effects of the environment on performance, motion analysis and forces associated with movement.
This course is endorsed by The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Undergraduate Endorsement scheme, one of only two to achieve this in Scotland. It also scored an impressive 90% for Overall Student Satisfaction and 94% for Teaching Quality in the 2022 National Student Survey (NSS).
Abertay is widely regarded as THE place to come for high quality teaching. But don’t just take our word for it:
- UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021).
- Top 10 in the UK for Student Satisfaction with Teaching, Course and Feedback (Guardian University Guide 2021).
- UK Top 10 for Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2020).