Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) is a famous research-based public university situated in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. ‘We transform lives’ is the ultimate mission of the University. This unique institute has an excellent academic field that ensures sustainability in higher education and the region. The motto of the University is ‘Learn and Serve’ shows a pathway to be a great leader. Therefore, Sheffield Hallam University makes strong relationships with top companies that open the door to a wide range of placements and internships yearly. The University is an innovative learning place that provides flexible undergraduate and postgraduate programs including health and social care courses, sports and physical activity courses, and teacher training.
Over here, The expert lecturers provide practical and up-to-date research activities that inspire students mostly. The international students are lucky enough to meet new people and make life-long friendships. Most importantly a full 96% of employability has been found during the study period and further study 15 months after the completion of graduation. Meanwhile, 73% of highly skilled career opportunity has arisen. Above all, the University has global connections with over 100 universities across the world. Students can study or volunteer in Malaysia, Australia, Canada, India, China, Europe, or the USA without leaving Sheffield to broaden their horizons.
Sheffield Hallam University Rankings and Achievements
Sheffield Hallam University Ranking remains in the highest position at all times.
- Sheffield Hallam University wins the Investors in People Gold Award.
- Sheffield Hallam University has a reputation for Award-winning teaching quality. According to The Sunday Times Good University Guide, the institute is given the status ‘University of the Year’ for teaching quality and wins a silver award from the government’s Teaching Excellence Framework.
- Achieved five stars in the QS Star ranking; especially for innovation, facilities, employability
- Secured 67th place in the Complete University Guide 2021
- Ranked 47th position in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- Secured 65th position out of 131 by The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020
Achieved a First Class award and placed 15th out of 151 universities in the People & Planet University League 2015
- Remain as the 11th biggest university in the UK
- Ranked in the top 20 for student satisfaction and secured sixth position in the 2021 Complete University Guide rankings
- Ranked in eight places in the Guardian League Table for 2021
- All University courses have work experience with over 1,000 organizations like Adidas and Disney to the NHS, Rolls-Royce, the BBC, Airbus, and so on.
Students get world-class research activities with up-to-date information provided by expert lecturers who willingly share their knowledge and industry experience. And becomes granted a top-five modern university for research works.
The origin of the University was found in 1843 when the industrial revolution took place. At that time, the Sheffield School of Design became converted to Sheffield School of Art (1850). In 1905, it was renamed Sheffield City College of Education when the first 90 students were admitted. In 1969, it became Sheffield Polytechnic and again converted to Sheffield City Polytechnic(1976). In 1992, this institute got the University status and became Sheffield Hallam University (SHU). The city campus is established in the heart of the city close to the Sheffield Railway Station. Another campus is the collegiate campus which is situated in south-west Sheffield.
Sheffield Hallam University courses are very popular as well as flexible for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The new college structure at Hallam consists of three Colleges:
- College of Business, Technology and Engineering
- College of Social Sciences and Arts
- College of Health, Wellbeing and Life Sciences
Every colleges have their separate schools or departments. They are given below:
College of Business, Technology and Engineering
- Sheffield Business School
- Department of Finance, Accounting and Business Systems
- Department of Management
- Department of Service Sector Management
- Department of Computing
- Department of Engineering and Mathematics
College of Social Sciences and Arts
- Department of Art and Design
- Department of Media Arts and Communication
- Department of the Natural and Built Environment
- Sheffield Institute of Education (SIOE)
- Department of Education, Childhood and Inclusion
- Department of Teacher Education
- TESOL Centre (Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages)
- Department of Psychology, Sociology and Politics
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Law and Criminology
College of Health, Wellbeing and Life Sciences
- Department of Allied Health Professions
- Department of Biosciences and Chemistry
- Department of Nursing and Midwifery
- Centre for Leadership
- Centre for Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education
- Academy of Sport and Physical Activity
- Department of Social Work and Social Care and Community Studies
- Undergraduate – 78%
- Postgraduate – 22%
- Full-time students – 81%
- Part-time students – 19%
- UK/EU students – 96.8%
- International students – 3.2%
- Female – 55%
- Male – 45%
Breakdown of fee structure
The international tuition fee is £13,650(per year)
The University offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate scholarships and bursaries
- Student Success Scholarship
- GREAT scholarships, 2021 campaign. Applicants from India, Indonesia and Thailand can apply. The first-year postgraduate students will
- get a £10,000 tuition fee waiver in September.
- Chevening Scholarship is popular as it is funded by FCO and known as the UK government’s global scholarship programme
- Transform Together Scholarships; applicable for the international students in 2021–22
- Performance Athletes Support Programme
- Care Leaver Bursary
- Natural and Built Environment scholarships
- Funding for health and social care courses
- Sanctuary Scholarships
- Sheffield Hallam Access and Participation Plans
- The AESSEAL® Undergraduate Scholarships and Bursaries for Women in Engineering
- Placements Bursary
- Alumni Scholarships
- Teacher training bursaries
- Ph.D. Scholarships, and so on.
Facilities and Services:
The University has The Commercial Services department which consists of five separate teams: Accommodation Services, Catering, Events, Print Services, Sport and Recreation.
- Sheffield Hallam University has on-campus facilities that create an extraordinary learning environment.
- Placement Opportunities; The University offers more than 20,000 placements and real-world projects annually.
- Students get the three dedicated advisers who remain busy with giving personal support, study related support, and career-focused support.
- Latest IT facilities.
- Well-equipped Libraries
- The Print Shop
- Sports facilities with a great team spirit;
- Consists of more than forty sports clubs and forty five social sports sessions occur weekly.
- Available catering outlets, food and drink.
- Carers, personal assistants, support workers can have the extra larger rooms.
- Guaranteed Accommodation; halls are situated close to campuses that are away from ten minute walking distance.
- Disabled students can access suitably adapted accommodation
Care leavers and estranged students get extra support
Apart from that, Sheffield Hallam University is going to develop the Sheffield Business School and the College of Social Sciences and Arts by updating and adding to the facilities. The University has already invested over £100 million for the brand new facilities and decided to invest £220m for the next five years.