Staffordshire University is a government research-based university situated in Staffordshire, England. It is a unique institution, a pathway to undergraduate, graduate, professional, and distance learning programmes. The motto of the university is ‘Dare to know’ which influences growing talents to flourish their knowledge in the academic field and other distinctive curricula. The university provides flexible courses and expert tutors with up-to-date research activities. Therefore, the university aims to build up a better, safer, and healthier society and raises funds for the future. And the first and foremost objective of Staffordshire is Graduate employability.
The Stroke-on-Tent Campus is the main campus of Staffordshire situated near the city. The other two separate centres are the Stafford Centre of Excellence and the Shrewsbury Centre of Excellence. All campuses are easily accessible with the latest technologies and equipment to support healthcare learning.
Staffordshire University has partnerships with Microsoft and CISCO, and industry links like Amazon and Google. Moreover, Digital Institute London is a member of Staffordshire University which is recognized as the world’s best gaming university in the UK.
Rankings and Achievements
- Staffordshire University is appreciated for its extraordinary launching of the UK’s first-ever Esports degree and 100s of applications from all over the world.
- Secured 76th place in the Times University Guide 2021
- Ranked 55th in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- Got the recognition of being ‘internationally significant’ in Psychology 100% of the research performance
- Break the record of the top 1000 institutions in the World University Rankings 2019.
- 78% of Staffordshire University’s research got the ‘international importance’ recognition in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
The origin of Staffordshire University was founded in 1914. The unique institution converted its name to Staffordshire Polytechnic in the year 1988. In 1992, it is officially given the university status named Staffordshire University.
The university consists of five academic departments, known as schools.
- School of Digital, Technologies and Arts,
- School of Health and Social Care,
- School of Law, Policing and Forensics,
- School of Life Sciences and Education, and
- Staffordshire Business School.
- Undergraduate – 85%
- Postgraduate – 15%
- Full-time students – 61%
- Part-time students – 39%
- UK/EU students – 98.2%
- International students – 1.8%
- Female – 48%
- Male – 52%
The international tuition fee is £10,900-£18,000
Several scholarships, bursaries, and additional financial support are offer by Staffordshire University within deadlines. Care Leavers, students from low areas of participation in higher education can apply for the bursary. The university provides up to 500 bursaries for disadvantaged students which is great support for their residential accommodation in the UK, food or other institutional services. The GREAT scholarship is also available for higher studies.
Facilities and Services
- Staffordshire provides the latest technologies and student-friendly amenities
- Well-equipped libraries that open 24/7 during critical times with inevitable resources, books, journals and articles
- The International Student Centre represents the university and provides English language teaching, and academic and cultural support.
- The new digital courses provide new or yet to be discovered employment
- Students get a professional environment that is industry-relevant with up-to-date facilities like Smart Zone, the Staff Newsroom, the Crime Scene House, Science Centre, and Esports Hub.
- World-leading research is found by the academic staff constantly.
- The brand-new £40m Catalyst building with the business network.
Staffordshire University Students’ Union is very famous for its’ outstanding contribution. It is a mouthpiece of students that raises students’ voices. The union is active enough and dedicated for the students’ welfare from the freshers’ week to Alumni night. Stoke-on-Trent, the main campus is surrounded by industrial heritage and creative artistic flair. Therefore, the local area is often called ‘The Potteries’ because of its historical heritage.
Lots of traditional halls of residence are available for Staffordshire students. The Stoke campus provides a dedicated hall of residence, especially for Postgraduate students. There is a search engine for landlords to help students finding out private accommodation. Therefore, all teaching, sporting, and Union venues are located near the accommodation.
The Stoke-on-Trent campus has taken initiatives for the development of new buildings as well as facilities and invested more than £100m.
Getting around Stoke and Staffordshire is easy and cheap. There is easy access to major cities linked by a mainline train line. Moreover, coaches or local bus services are available to travel from one place to another. The local bus shows numbers on the front of the bus Taxis are very useful to travel late at night or early in the morning though it can be expensive. On the other hand, Mega Bus travel offers very cheap seats with advance ticket booking.